A reader just tagged me with a meme that requires me to honestly reveal 10 things. About myself. So in no particular order, here goes:
1. The older I get, the more selfish I get. I feel like I’ve reverted back to the Id stage of infancy. At one time, I was a very thoughtful and considerate person but as time’s gone on… I dunno.
2. I wasn’t as nice a person as I think I was.
3. Lately I’ve been reading every book written by a blogger that I can get my hands on. I’ve got dreams, people. I want to see what they’re doing right.
4. I want to see what they’re doing wrong.
5. I love getting drunk. I don’t do it nearly as often as I should. But maybe that’s what makes it so great.
6. I was NOT prepared for the commitment required to raise kids. It’s like it’s some sort of evil society norm that mothers don’t share their battle stories with not-yet-mothers. THIS HAS TO STOP. We need to be prepared.
7. I always keep snacks in the car to give to beggars at traffic lights. I can’t seem to give them cash, but I figure this way, at least I could make sure they have a snack.
7a. When I used to eat at Schwartz’s, I always used to have them brown bag my remaining rye bread (they serve it by the half-loaf with a smoked meat platter). I always gave it to the same guy who was standing right outside the door, panhandling. Imagine my surprise when years later I started my current job and discovered it was Ryan Larkin.
8. I often get sidetracked. In fact, I also like to milk a story or joke for all it’s worth. I think that’s an attention-getting device, but I’m not sure what’s behind the whole ‘easily distracted’ thing.
9. I hurt my son’s feelings tonight and I feel like a piece of shit about it. I was frustrated with his sister long after their bedtime, and when he called me in about his flashlight, I did not use a very nice tone of voice. He called me back up 1/2 hour later, crying, telling me I’d hurt his feelings. I apologized profusely and we talked about it. Surprisingly, it turned out to be a good parenting moment.
10. I hate asking other people to do things for me. I don’t know why. There are a myriad possible reasons. But whatever the case, even though the meme requires me to award 7 other bloggers* with this same task, I just can’t do it.
Thanks, Jeena. I hope I did you justice.
*Funny that the WordPress spell check doesn’t recognize ‘bloggers’ as a word. Or ‘WordPress’ for that matter.